Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Mild Success of Friday June 4th, 2010

   So today marked the first day of the new diet, and I am going to say that it was a mild success. Mild because I did not eat the recommended 5-6 small meals that are supposed to help keep my metabolism up. Oh well, baby steps, right? My wife, two daughters, and I did do a lot of running around today, so that made finding time to eat two extra meals a little challenging. From now on, I think I will plan ahead on days like today and pack a small cooler with some healthy snacks. Another thing that gets me are those words "small meals". What does that really mean? Am I supposed to eat a smaller breakfast, lunch, and dinner than I would normally eat and just have some kind of small healthy snack in between meals? If that is the case then this eating 5-6 small meals should be an easy task.

   Grocery shopping was on the agenda today and that is usually an all day event, especially when you have to bring along your 2 and 4yr old daughters. We started out by going to Penn Dutch, which is primarily a meat store. Because their main focus in on meat, the meat is usually cheaper there than at a regular grocery store like Publix. I don't think I have ever, in all my life, purchased so much chicken. Between breasts and legs, the cart was pretty full. We also picked up some chicken sausage, which I have eaten before and found is actually tastier than pork sausage. We also ventured to Publix today and picked up some catfish for dinner. I may have been born in the north, but I was raised in the south and I love me some catfish. I would say catfish has a sweet, mild flavored meat and is surprising quite delicious when baked. In the past, I have always fried my catfish because thats the way it was always prepared while I was a kid. But tonight, I baked it in the oven. I seasoned it with some smoked Spanish Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, and a little Sea Salt. After it came out of the oven, I topped it with some toasted Pine Nuts and sauteed onion and mushrooms. I also had a salad to go along with it. My salad had raw onion, mushroom, green, orange, and yellow Bell Peppers, tomatoes, and some Croutons. I topped this off with a very tasty Raspberry Vinegarette.

 I walked this morning for just under an hour, but I did my normal 4 miles. Tomorrow I plan on getting up at about 6:30am and heading out and maybe adding another mile or two to my routine. I am always sure to bring a bottle of water along to keep myself hydrated. This South Florida sun can be very brutal if you don't keep fluids in your body. Well, it is 1:25am now, so I guess I better get off of here and go to bed, 6:30am is going to come fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment